Also referred to as Sonar Quila or Sone ka Quila (golden fort) Jaisalmer fort stands high showcasing its beauty and elegance because it is one among the world’s largest forts located in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. Sonar Quila is that the second oldest fort in Rajasthan.
Its extensive yellow sandstone walls are bright yellow during the day and fade to honey-gold because the sun sets and thanks to this, it’s also called the Golden fort. This dessert beauty has seen many battles while standing amidst the sandy stretches of the good Thar Desert on Trikuta hill.
Jaisalmer itself is understood because the golden city and offers the cultural fusion of nomadic desert and royalty which can allow you to experience something different.
Built-in 1156 by the Indian King Rawal Jaisal, the fort is on a site that legend says he chose on the recommendation of a wise local hermit. within the Indian heroic poem the Mahabharata, the mystic tells Jaisal that the Hindu deity Lord Krishna had praised the spot—and therefore, a fort built there would be almost invisible to the king’s enemies. The walls, of rich yellow sandstone unique to Rajasthan’s quarries, shimmer sort of a mirage.
It has kept the traditions of the past safe by preserving their designs and visions. This place will never fail to surprise you with its majestic beauty and can offer you a special vision of the history, traditions, and culture of the country.
History of Jaisalmer Fort
The Golden fort is claimed to be established by Raja Rawal Jaisal, who was a Bhatti Rajput ruler, in approximately 1156 A D. He selected the Trikuta hills located at the good Thar Desert for his fort to face and symbolize the dominance and power of the royal Rajput’s.
Sonar Quila is understood because the second oldest fort in Rajasthan and has seen and been a part of many legendary battles but even today it holds an equivalent charm and positive vibes that can leave you aw-struck once you will witness this great structure.
So, one can notice the fusion of Islamic and Rajput architecture. it’s also been a part of the silk trade route from the 16th to the 18th century.
Sonar Quila may be a legendary structure and holds an excellent significance within the grand history. The fort has four grand entrance Ganesh Pol, Akshaya Pol, Suraj Pol, and Hawa Pol which have their own significance like Suraj pol named was given to at least one because the primary sun rays over the town wont to hit this very gate similarly other gates even have interesting stories associated with them and are very beautifully carved and designed during a way that it’s a mixture of power and wonder.
The Architecture of Jaisalmer Fort
The Jaisalmer Fort is additionally famous for its architectural beauty. With the amazing measurement of 1,500 ft (460 m) long and 750 ft (230 m) wide it’s built on a hill that rises above a height of 250 ft (76 m). you’ll be delighted to witness the essence of Rajasthani architectural touch with beautiful designs and patterns. Built with the gorgeous yellow sandstone the whole fort has a tremendous look and shines like gold when the sun-rays fall on the walls.
With the fantastic sunrise and majestic sunset, this structure changes color from tawny lion yellow to honey- gold. you’ll laugh to ascertain the four entrances to the fort which are named Hawa Pole, Akshay Pole, Suraj Pole, and Ganesha Pole. There are many other places that add their importance to histories like Akhai Vilas, the Rang Mahal, Sarvottam Vilas, Gaj Mahal, and therefore the Moti Mahal.
The Moti Mahal is additionally referred to as-Salam Singh Ki Haweli and is extremely beautiful with amazing architecture, built-in 1815 with a peacock-shaped roof & numerous balconies this place will provide a jaw-dropping view.
These places too are formed by keeping the designs, patterns, and texture at the priority, and has been taken utmost care that they stand to showcase the royalty and energy of Rajputs and taking Rajasthani style on another level.
The Fort become another time attacked by Ala-Ud-din-Khilji within the 13th century which compelled the Rajput women to self-immolate. Rawal’s defiance towards the Mughals became ultimately broken after the assault of Humayun in 1541 and he provided his daughter in marriage to Akbar who become Humayun’s successor.
Jaisalmer Fort served as a crucial exchange and enterprise stop alongside the Silk path in medieval times but the looks of British rule and increase of sea routes saw an incredible decline within the economy of the situation.
Top Things to try to In Jaisalmer
• Jaisalmer Fort – See The Grandeur
• Jaisalmer City – Witness The Scenic Beauty
• Gadisar Lake – Enjoy The View
• Jaisalmer Local Bazaar – Shopping
• Kanoi – Parasailing
• Para motoring – Indulge Into Adventure
• Sam Sand Dunes – Quad Biking
• Thar Desert – Dune Bashing
• Winds Desert Camp – Desert Safari And Camping
• Tanot Mata Temple – Indo-Pak Border
• Desert park – Admire The Wildlife
• Desert Culture Centre & Museum – puppet play
• Rajasthan Cuisine – Try Something New
• Desert Jeep Safari – An Enthralling Experience
• Camel Safari – a special Adventure
• Salim Singh Ki Haveli – Marvelous Beauty
• Jain Temple Tour – Extraordinary Architecture
• Nathmal Ki Haveli – Marvel At The Architecture
• Kuldhara – Visit The Abandoned Village
• Bhang Lassi – Try a replacement Drink
• Khaba Fort – Explore The Heritage
• Vyas Chhatri – Watch The Sunset
• Suryagarh – Enjoy The Dinner Amidst Sand Dunes
• Jaisalmer Desert Festival – Experience The Festivities
• Indo-Pak Border – check out the opposite Side
• Sunset Palace – Enjoy A Romantic Dinner
• Nightlife: Party Till You Drop
• Night walk Tour Of Jaisalmer: Night Sky Views
• Puppet Show: an enticing Play
• Rooftop Dining: For a chic Night
• Cultural Tour Of Rajasthan: a must have Experience
• Photo Tour: For Your Instagram
• Camping On Sand Dunes: An Overnight Adventure
• Visit Lodurva: A Historical Relic
• Light And Sound Show: A Glowing Showcase
• The fort consists of three layers. Outermost layer made completely of golden colored sandstone.
• There are 99 bastions and 4 entrances to the fort.
• Alauddin Khalji captured and ruled over the fort for a quick span of 9 years.
• Drainage system is exclusive here. it’s called GhutNali. Off late several measures are being taken to enhance the drainage to save lots of it from the danger of collapsing.
• There is model of Jaisalmer Fort map which provides an honest representation of the small print of the place, lanes and paths inside the fort. It must are helpful for the Kings’ army.
Also Read – Top 5 Most Haunted Forts In India!